Monday, September 30, 2013

My October Project: Office Makeover


So, I’ve been loving my new bookshelf that we put together for my office last week.  Not only do I love it for its functional purposes…but its nice to just have something that I know that I did (with the help of my wonderful husband, of course).  And its so pretty to look at!
This has inspired me to finally completely redo my office.  Throughout the past two years, we have done little things, here and there, to all areas of the house.  We’ll buy one piece of furniture for one room, paint the walls in a different room,  hand art for another room…
But we haven’t tackled one room, from start to finish.  A lot of that has to do with the time and money strain that we’re going through with planning a wedding and both getting our master’s degrees.  Another reason is that, since we re eventually doing a whole-home renovation, so much of what we do in each room, kind of depends on what we’re doing to adjoining rooms. For example, if we open up one wall or change the flooring.
However, my office is free of this dilemma.  It is in the corner of the house that should be, otherwise, untouched.  And its all mine….which means I can make every single decision without finding the time to consult with my husband and come to an agreement. I’ll probably do so anyway, just because of my complete indecisiveness. But I don’t HAVE to.
So, things to tackle in the office over the next few weeks:
Decide on an overall “style”            
Say goodbye to mismatched furniture
Organize- Everything needs a home!
Decorate-Create artwork and finishing touches

With my busy schedule, I’m going to give myself The month of October for this challenge.  I think the hardest task will be to choose the overall style for my room!  I appreciate little elements of all different styles….but I hate when rooms are so hodge-podge and don’t come together.  For the rest of the house, I think I tend to lean towards a more clean and modern style.  That’s the look that represents my husband and I the best, and I want all the rooms to flow together.  However in this space, I want to do something different.  I want to add those feminine touches that I leave out of all of the “community” rooms.
However, I’m having a bit of a difficult time choosing between two very different feminine styles. I think it would be fun to do something ultra glam, with bold prints and colors:




But then again, I love that romantic, Queen Anne look with soft colors, too…





Maybe there’s a tasteful way to combine both?  I’m open to suggestions.  I’ll keep you posted on what I decide and I’ll show you how we pull it all together! 

My Office: Before
 

No comments:

Post a Comment